Wild Parsnip

Scientific: Pastinaca sativa
Norwegian: Vill pastinakk

Wild parsnip is an invasive species and has toxic sap that can cause burns including rashes and blisters; avoid contact with any part of this plant. It appear in many ditches and meadows in SE Minnesota and during the month of July the wild parsnip is the dominant yellow-  flowered weed seen along roadsides. It is found in several areas along this trail so please make sure to avoid contact with this plant. If you come in contact, symptoms usually take 24-48 hours to develop; a mild exposure is like a sunburn and a severe exposure causes blisters. Once the toxin is absorbed into the skin and exposed to sunlight, some type of reaction will occur. Immediately cover exposed skin until you can wash with soap and water.